It’s been a crazy couple of months between work and my puppy, Sonia, which is why I’ve been MIA. With long commutes to work and taking care of Sonia, I’ve had very little time for myself and this blog. I’m slowly trying to get back into things though! I even joined a gym! Mike has also been very busy with just having graduated law school and studying for the Bar exam. In a couple of days, he will be done with it all and help me shoot more blog content! Today, I wanted to share with you an idea that I’ve been wanting to blog about for some time: how to build a capsule wardrobe. It’s minimalist, perfect for trips, and essential for work. This post would be great for those rebuilding their work attire, heading to college, or just looking to downsize. Who is guilty of having a heaping amount of unworn clothing in their closet? I know I am. This post is geared more towards a business-casual or neutrals type of gal. Trendy pieces are a whole different ball-game. Also, I incorporated some Nordstrom Anniversary sale pieces since it’s that time of the year. I know that everyone and their mother is blogging about the sale, so I hope this is still of interest to you. This is definitely my most thought-out post and I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Feel free to comment below!
Now I’m definitely going to try to keep this as short as I can, because my point isn’t building an entire wardrobe. It’s more about minimalist staples, or items that I feel every woman should own. Not everyone agrees on staples, but these are mine. I usually tend to look for a good sale for my clothing, but when it comes to my purses and shoes, I lean towards designer. For me, a designer bag can add that touch of class and elegance. Others may disagree, and that’s okay! Your personal style is yours to own.
First, choose your color scheme.
You must have neutrals, complimentary pieces, and a few accent pieces that you can mix together. Below are my color picks.
Boy was it hard narrowing tops down to 5 pieces.
- white – white tops make any look elegant.
- black – an obvious essential
- button-up – you already know you need this one.
- chambray – pair this with literally anything for a bohemian touch, my favorite is with white pants
- texture: floral – when you need some sunshine and flowers on a monday morning
Playing with layers can add a touch of flair to a boring/plain outfit. I love throwing on a good cardigan or blazer when I don’t have as much time to plan my outfit.
- beige long cardigan – for those cozy fall nights
- black blazer – for the working professional
- black cardigan – for being a couch potato in the winter
- grey cardigan – also great for cold, winter nights
- jean Jacket – perfect for transitioning into fall
- khakis – college, work, casual, really for any occasion
- black – for lazy dressers during the workweek, such as myself
- black tie-front pants – recently bought a really cute pair of high-waisted, wide-leg pants from COS and I’m obsessed. Probably my favorite pair of pants ever.
- jeans – who are you if you don’t wear jeans?
- skirt – everyone needs a good, versatile skirt.
- white jeans – does anyone else get really excited to wear theirs come spring?!
- statement pant – perfect for spring and summer work days to brighten your mood!
- olive pant – great for cozy, neutral looks!
- daytime – you need a dress you can just throw on and go!
- work – for those presentation days, you need to slay in a professional dress!
- night out – nothing better than a classic fitting, lace dress!
- khaki trench coat – the burberry trench is a must-have
- black peacoat – essential for winter
- Plaid peacoat – it’s something different, but goes with everything! Labeling it as a staple.
- beige sandals – the ones I linked are very affordable and so comfy
- black flats – Tory Burch are classics
- black booties – I wear black booties almost every day come fall and winter
- beige flats – for neutral outfits
- black OTK boots – aren’t they the prettiest with anything?!
- black pumps – seriously, get the Louboutins. Life’s too short.
- black crossbody – essential for running errands, going out, going to work, or anywhere else. It’s that bag you grab when you’re speeding out of the door.
- brown – I take my Louie everywhere, really up to you what brown bag you have. But it goes with literally anything
- red crossbody – a touch of red is so elegant!
And there you have it folks! This was my take on the capsule wardrobe. Hope you enjoyed!